Let no debt remain outstanding,except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command:
“Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Love does no harm to a neighbor. Whoever loves others, has fulfilled the law.
So, love is the fulfillment of the law.”
“You have heard what was said to people who lived long ago. They were told, ‘Do not commit murder. Anyone who murders will be judged for it.’
But here is what I tell you. Do not be angry with a brother or sister. Anyone who is angry with them will be judged.
Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ must stand trial in court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire in hell.
Suppose you are offering your gift at the altar. And you remember that your brother or sister has something against you. Leave your gift in front of the altar. First go and make peace with them.
Then come back and offer your gift.
Suppose someone has a claim against you and is taking you to court. Settle the matter quickly. Do this while you are still together on the way. If you don’t, you may be handed over to the judge. The judge may hand you over to the officer to be thrown into prison. What I’m about to tell you is true. You will not get out until you have paid the very last penny!
You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’
But here is what I tell you. Do not even look at a woman in the wrong way. Anyone who does, has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, poke it out and throw it away. Your eye is only one part of your body. It is better to lose an eye than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. Your hand is only one part of your body. It is better to lose a hand, than for your whole body to go into hell.
It has been said, ‘Suppose a man divorces his wife. If he does, he must give her a letter of divorce.’
But here is what I tell you. Anyone who divorces his wife makes her a victim of adultery. And anyone who gets married to the divorced woman commits adultery. A man may divorce his wife only if she has not been faithful to him.”
- 1 John 3:15, “Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.”
- Psalms 37:8, “Refrain from anger and give up your rage; do not be agitated—it can only bring harm.
- Proverbs 15:18, “A hot-tempered person stirs up conflict, but one slow to anger calms strife.”
- Proverbs 14:29, “A patient person shows great understanding, but a quick-tempered one promotes foolishness.”
- Proverbs 15:1, “A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath.”
- Proverbs 22:24, “Don’t make friends with an angry person, and don’t be a companion of a hot-tempered one.”
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’.
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully, has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- Job 31:1, “I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust at a young woman.”
- Proverbs 6:27,28, “Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? Can a man walk on hot coals without his feet being scorched?”
To receive forgiveness of your sins, say this simple prayer from your heart;
Father, I’m a sinner.
Please forgive me of my sin.
I accept You, Jesus, as my Lord and Savior.
I fully confess and commit my life to You.
Thank You for giving me eternal life.
In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.